Who exactly are we looking for?
A full time, live-in companion/caregiver….
We are the parents of a 45 year old male son who has been disabled since birth due to a brain hemorrhage. Although he may talk and act as a child, he functions very much like you or I would in that he is self sufficient in most regards such as hygiene, dressing, working, etc.. The issue is that in 1999 he went into the hospital for a minor surgery where he contracted a staph infection that just about took his life. The end result is that he lost both of his legs and nine out of ten fingers, and was left with a large hernia and a colostomy. Of course, with no fingers to speak of, he does have trouble taking care of the colostomy and in doing some finer detail tasks. However, he still goes to work 4 out of 5 days a week (only because we limit his hours), is very active in our church, social and charity events, doing chores around the house, etc..
What we are looking for is someone who is willing to live in our home on a permanent, long term basis to help take care of him as needed now and to be a lifelong friend who will hopefully be around for him in the future after we are gone. Our son does have a brother who is younger and married who has accepted the title of long term caregiver, but his work and family may or may not be ideal for his older brother. We believe if we can find the right person, it could provide that person with a very rewarding and profitable experience plus eliminate any potential issues down the road.
finding the right person is extremely important to us…
We have thought long and hard as to what we should look for in finding the right person. Below is a list of what we would like to see as a minimum.
- Single male or female who is around 30 to 35 years of age (someone slightly younger or older would still be considered).
- You must be a Christian. If you are insure of what that means, it implies that you believe in God the Father, Jesus the Son, and the Holy Spirit. You also believe that Jesus is God incarnate who died for your sins and was raised on the third day to be at God’s right hand. In addition, there was a time in your life when you realized that you were a sinner who could not save yourself and put your faith and trust in Him and Him alone to save you. You asked for His forgiveness and was saved by His Grace. Salvation is by faith, not by works!
- You must be committed to serving the Lord through a local church and in your daily life. You must be a member of a local church and in good standing within that church. A recommendation from the Senior Pastor will be required.
- You are prepared to serve the Lord once you relocate and will ensure that our son remains active in the church. This implies that you will be in attendance at a local church every time the there is a service, special event, etc., unless a conflict arises.
- You must have a clean criminal record and must pass a detailed background check.
- You must be willing to commit to a lifetime personal change in your life in that you will be asked to relocate to a new location and be committed to providing companionship and care to our son for life.
- You must have a valid drivers license with a safe driving record and able to provide transportation as necessary.
- You must be willing to pursue similar interests currently held by our son and to introduce him to new interests as they arise and are of interest to you.
- You must not drink or smoke.
- You must be of good health, not suffering from any life threatening diseases/issues and therefore medically insurable.
What We can Offer
not many can afford full time caregivers…
We would love to tell you that this was going to be a pay per hour type job but there are very few families that could afford such service. We are looking for more than that. We are prayerful that there is an individual out there that might consider this as a challenge that would be both personally rewarding and also would provide a lifelong guarantee of personal room & board (with minimal responsibility) and long term gain. Some of the things we will supply are as follows:
- Life long room and board, i.e., full integration into the family structure.
- Spending allowance consistent with individual family members.
- Health care coverage.
- Transportation, i.e., car, etc..
- All expenses paid for necessity items as agreed to by family.
- Free time to pursue personal interests including work (if desired) as long as they do not interfere with care giving. The majority of care giving will continue to be provided by family until no longer possible.
- Being included in all family activities as described in our “About Us”. Participation not required.